I Am Your Father...(I am not alone)

The picture at the left describes the craziness of today.  If you're thinking that it looks like a cheesy Star Wars set, then you are right!  My church Christmas program was today.  I usually write the programs, so I had to pay homage to the newly released Star Wars.  Thus, A Dysfunctional Christmas Dinner-Star Wars Edition was born.  I had to frantically costume our cast, cook a ton of food for the potluck, and wash a gazillion loads of laundry, and quiz my kids because, of course, it is semester test time on Monday and Tuesday.  Late last night, I was cooking 150 cookies, cutting potatoes (with my daughters help- maybe a little guilt was involved), and sewing a gold C3PO suit out of a tablecloth found at a birthday party I had been to earlier that day.  Yes, that is me in the shiny, gold suit.  I was hot gluing black yarn to a pair of headphones for Princess Lea, cutting off reindeer ears and replacing with green felt to make Yoda.  I even created a turkey out of a milk jug that was put together with velcro.  One slice with the light saber and the turkey was carved.  By the time I had finally gotten to sleep, it was time to get up and hit the road with skit practice, worship practice, and cooking.  I was determined to keep a good attitude.  We got to the church and began to unload my van.  As I took the last bag out of the van, I told my daughter to close the hatch.  Which she promptly did while I was still under it.  I can honestly say that though I wobbled, I didn't fall down.  There were no little birds tweeting around my head like in the cartoons, but there was definite ringing.  I pressed on realizing that there was no way I could get everything done.  Wonderful people began to step up and ask what they could do to help.  Eventually, all came together and the church Christmas program and potluck was a great success.  I, however, was challenged.  Why is it that when we face difficulties, we seem to think we are supposed to face them alone?  I was surrounded by people willing to step up and help if I would only ask.  Yet I tried to handle everything myself becoming more and more overwhelmed.  In your life, do you find yourself afraid to ask for help from others?  What would they think if I showed vulnerability?  Would they think I am weak?  Would they think I am not a good Christian because I don't have everything together all the time?  We find ourselves becoming the Lone Ranger Christians that shut ourselves off from the world and slowly become unable to connect with others.  One of the greatest lines from Star Wars was when Darth Vader says, "Luke, I am your father."  Luke is faced with confronting where he came from and what went with those roots.  Sometimes we need to remind ourselves where we came from and what goes with that lineage.  God says to you, "I am your Father."  By accepting Him, we are not alone.  We are grafted into a wonderful family with a loving Father who cares about us and wants to help us when we are overwhelmed.  We are given a group of brothers and sisters that are there to stand with us when we are overwhelmed.  We may have arguments like brothers and sisters, but we are family that stand with each other no matter what.  When my brothers and sisters in Christ saw my struggles, they stepped up and surrounded me with help even when I was too caught up in the moment to see that I needed it.  When the load was lightened, the freedom I felt was amazing.  It wasn't so much that I didn't have as much to do.  It was that even though I had a lot to do, I didn't have to do it alone.  That is what Christmas is all about.  Have a great week high heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?