Foreclosing on My Son's Legos?

If anyone has dared to venture to Walmart, they can easily recognize the signs of an upcoming holiday.  The parking lot is full all the way out to the road.  People of all ages are pushing carts very slowly down aisles loaded with sodas, chips, and hot dog buns.  And gas prices are sky-rocketing to ridiculous highs to accommodate for all of one's travel needs.  Stores have begun to advertise special holiday sales, so it must be a holiday, right?  Does any of this ever make you tired of what our country's holidays have become?  We are preparing to celebrate Memorial Day.  It's not just a holiday that gives the bank's a right to be closed and stores a right to have a sale.  So what do we memorialize in this day and age?  If we were to go on the streets and ask your average teenager what is Memorial Day about, could they answer correctly?  Could we answer correctly?  This morning, my husband preached a sermon about the poppy flower that all of the VFW members give out at the intersections for donations.  Some of you may not know, but the poppy flowers tended to grow on battlefields.  A famous poem, In Flander's Field by John McCrae, memorialized those who fought and died on the battlefield and  symbolized the poppy flower.  That's your history lesson, so now let me tie it into how it relates to foreclosure of my son's legos.  Summer is out, and anyone who is a parent knows what that means.  Your kids are home all day making the house beautiful for you.  They make it beautiful by taking off their dirty socks in every room in the house and leaving shoes in front of doorways, so you can conveniently trip into a room.  Dirty glasses make excellent decorations for hidden spaces in your house.  My favorite is the empty toilet paper tubes on the toilet paper holder, but only when the replacement toilet paper is a skip and a hop away from the toilet for which you are already sitting.  I had finally had enough.  I began my mommy rant of, "This reign of tyranny must end!  I will reclaim my house and rightful throne once and for all!"  This is when I mentioned that if my children did not contribute to the home through work, then they must pay rent.  My lovely daughter responded, "If we don't, will you evict us and put us in a tent behind the house?"  I wanted to say yes, but my answer was a fair, "No.  But I will foreclose upon your goods, such as legos.  They will be seized and sold in auction (Ebay) to the highest bidder in restitution for your unpaid bills."  Welcome to the real world children!  It did not come to that because all of my children swiftly began to take out trash, sweep, and clean with fervor.  As my son lugged loads of folded laundry up the stairs and mentioned the pain of climbing the stairs, I showed him the poppy.  How many of us get so caught up in the trivial things that we don't remember what true pain was?  We have been blessed in our country.  While we sit in our homes complaining about our little miseries, so many fight for us.  Many have died for us to live in freedom and blessing.  I think the greatest tragedy that could strike our nation would be to forget our past.  Our nation is comprised of those who have gained victory through great sacrifice.  The greatest thing we can do this Memorial Day is to remember.  One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.  

Have a great Memorial Day high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Another Year Older, Another Year Past

A Night to Shine