Are My Prayers Too Small? (The Circle Maker Devotion part 1)

     
Ever thought that your prayer life could use more substance?  The ladies group at my church have started a book study on "The Circle Maker" by Mark Batterson every first Thursday of the month. As we study this book, I'll try to share with you, so let's start.  The opening of the book begins by talking about a story from "The Book of Legends."  This is a book of stories passed down through generations by Jewish rabbis.  The story of Honi, a Jewish sage, takes place in the first century BC before Jesus is born.  Israel is facing a drought and fear that an entire generation will be wiped out due to lack of water.  As the nation cries out to God, Honi steps up.  I find it amazing that so many talk about wanting rain, but one person steps up to do something about it.  He uses his staff to draw a circle around himself and starts to talk to God.  He tells God that he will not move from the circle until God showed mercy on His people.  He shows respect to God by admitting God is the Lord of the Universe and mentions God's great name.  When we pray, we need to respect the One we come before.  After his first prayer, it sprinkles.  People leave their homes excited and rejoicing, but Honi prays again.  He says that he didn't pray for such rain.  He asked God for rain that filled the cisterns and wells.  At this point, flash floods begin.  People run for cover on high ground while I picture Honi standing in his circle with water violently swirling around his knees.  Once again, he prays.  He tells God that this was not the rain he asked for, but for the rain of God's favor, graciousness,and blessing.  After this last prayer, the rain lessons to a steady, peaceful rain that ended the drought.  One of the first things that Mark Batterson mentions is that 1) we need to make sure that our wishes match up with God's will.  I can spend all day praying for  a million dollars, but if it causes me to grow away from God, it will not be His will.  If your prayers are not God's will, you will miss out on what God's best is for you.  God is the only one who knows the future, so He knows what is best for you.  God's will is never in conflict with God's Word.  2) Am I being specific in my prayers?  Honi was specific.  He didn't settle for less than God's best for the people of Israel.  Being specific shows boldness and faith.  
      A couple of years ago, as I was driving a van of young girls and women to a special event, the power steering went out in the van.  I managed to get the van into the turning lane of a very busy five lane road.  As semi-trucks flew past us on either side, the girls screamed and cried.  I prayed for help.  I could hear my daughter pray from the back of the van.  "God, send a large truck with a tow-strap big enough to pull us off this road." That was very specific!  I doubted any truck would be carrying a tow-strap large enough to move a fifteen passenger van, but I didn't say anything.  Within five minutes of that prayer, an entergy truck from another county pulled in front of our van.  The man stepped out and told us he was passing through and saw we needed help.  He happened to have  a tow strap large enough to move a fifteen passenger van.  As he pulled us across two lanes of traffic, I started to worry.  There were a lot of semi-trucks speeding by us, but it seemed all traffic had stopped as we made our way across the road.  Once we were safe, I looked back.  Standing in the middle of the two lanes were my husband and another member of our church who happened to arrive just as we started to move.  They held back a lot of traffic, so we could make it safely across.  God answered my daughter's very specific prayer.  It was exactly what we needed, and she wasn't afraid to ask.  And it was also right on time.  So ask for God's will and be brave enough to be specific.  Then wait for Him to answer!

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?