It's Okay to Just Say No...

As we celebrate Labor Day, I realize how much I really needed a break.  If you're anything like me, you get so accustomed to being busy that it becomes really easy to find yourself in a state of exhaustion, frustration, and sometimes craziness.  You don't even realize you've reached that point until one of your children talks back to you, or someone asks you to do something.  This is when you reach that breaking point.  You're face takes on the image of my dog.  I call this the "What did you just say" face.  I think my children call this the "mom just lost it" face.  A couple of weeks ago, I reached that point.  I'm not much different than most women these days.  I work full-time.  I parent four children.  I also work as a part-time children's pastor, youth pastor, worship leader, Sunday school teacher, and anything else our church needs.  I love doing this for God and for our wonderful church.  However, there are moments when you are tired, overwhelmed, and you need a break.  I always felt guilt when I wanted a break because I would worry that there would be no one to step in and fill the gap if I didn't clean church or teach the class.  So this brings me to the breaking point.  I had a hard day at work.  I made it home and cooked dinner.  My children never really complained, but you could tell from the facial expressions that what I made for dinner was not what they really wanted.  I started thinking about what I would teach the youth and an innocent comment was made about wouldn't it be great to just do a game night.  I was actually planning a game night, but to hear some youth say they wanted it over my teaching was the final straw.  I let the cranky monster out and complained, groaned, whined, and several other negative things.  Looking back, the youth never said they didn't want to hear me.  I realized that youth desperately need a break, also.  My children were great.  My oldest son and daughter said, "Mom, why don't you take a night off, and we will handle everything."  My son even did a devotion.  All of my older youth stepped up and worked.  They cleaned the church and filled in the gap that my absence left.  I rested and let God give me peace.  I needed the time to pray and let go of that frustration.  So here's what I learned.  1. If you think that God can only use you for His work, you have given yourself way too much importance.  God can use anybody.  2. If you refuse to take a break, you will be given one eventually by everyone around you.  It's better to take a small break before you have to take a break.  3. Last, if you never give others the opportunity to rise to the challenge, they never will.  If I kept doing everything myself, others would never need to step up and fill in the gap.  Give others a chance to be used by God.  I've also accepted that I need help.  I'm letting youth help me with children's church, and I've got someone helping me with youth.  That is not a sign of weakness.  It is a sign that if I want to continue being used by God, then I have to make sure I am in a good spiritual place myself.  So tomorrow, I will take a moment and rest.  That's okay.  And if someone calls to ask if I'll do something, I can say that I would love to help after I take a break.

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?