A Mumble, a Tumble, and Listening to God

Last night, we enjoyed a church bonfire.  Before any of you ask, I did not set myself on fire!  With my clumsiness, that is the first thing people think I would do.  So far, knock on wood, I've yet to do that.  I did, however, fall through a chair.  Yes, you heard me right.  Since we wanted to roast hot dogs and marshmallows by the fire pit, we placed our folding camp chairs around the fire.  I went inside the church to make sweet tea, a Southern staple, and get a few things.  When I returned to the fire, people were already settled around the warm flames.  I immediately searched for a seat down-wind due to an allergy to smoke. I noticed one of our camp chairs in a good spot, so I decided to park myself in that chair.  I heard my husband mumble something to me, but I couldn't understand what he was saying.  I remember everything in slow motion.  One of the ladies in our church was saying loudly, "Don't sit in that!  It's broken!"  However, this came as my bottom was slowly making contact with the fabric of the chair.  I felt by bottom fall through the chair on the word "brooookeeeen."  Of course, my husband exclaimed, "I told you it was broken."  To which I replied, "I only heard mumbling!"  This brings me to my ladies book study this past week.  We have been covering the book, The Pleasure of His Company by Dutch Sheets.  During this study, Dutch has mentioned the importance of listening to God.  He mentioned that Obed-edom was asked by David to store the Ark of the Covenant in his home when David was returning the ark stolen by the Philistines back to Israel.  Once Obed-edom had spent so much time in God's glory, he didn't want to leave it.  He packed up his family and followed the ark.  When Moses went up to the mountain to get the 10 Commandments, Joshua, his servant, also went.  For 34 days, Moses dwelled in cloud of God's glory.  Joshua waited.  When Moses came down and had a tent for the ark, only Joshua and Moses were allowed in the tent.  Joshua did not want to leave the tent of God's glory once he felt God's presence.  Enoch was a man who walked with God, much like Adam originally walked.  He was so close to God that God took him.  In all of these cases, being in the presence of God and listening to His voice changed the people in contact with God.  During the book study, I mentioned that my husband speaks very fast and sometimes mumbles.  After our first year of marriage, it was like I had developed a second language.  I call it "Kylese."  Although, most times, I can understand him, there are times that I have to ask him to slow down so that I can hear him better.  The incident with the broken chair is proof enough of this.  God is not speaking too fast for us to hear Him.  Our lives get too busy.  Dutch mentioned that God has plenty of time for us.  Do we have any time for Him?  Obed-edom, Joshua, and Enoch all slowed down their lives to make God the priority.  In taking time to listen to God, their lives were forever changed.  What would happen if we slowed down our lives enough to give God time to talk to us?  What would we change about our lives?  What would we do differently?  I challenge you to let God's voice come through clear and live life beyond a mumble.

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?