Come As You Are

If anyone hasn't already noticed, it's cold and flu season.  With the crazy weather of late, it may be 25 degrees one day and 60 degrees the next day.  Even if you've never suffered from congestion before, you probably have experienced it a time or two this year.  Because I work with preschool-aged children, I have a good indicator when congestion season has arrived- mucus!  If you have ever worked with young children or parent young children, then you need no further explanation, but for those who don't, I'll elaborate.  You may hear the echo of a phlegmy sneeze or see it coming.  You dive for the tissue to no avail.  Twin bungee chords of mucus dangle down the child's face.  Or there is the other type- the perpetual river of green snot running under the child's nose and onto the upper lip.  I'm not sure why the children with mucus issues are almost always the ones that want spontaneous hugs they initiate.  This is how you know I'm a true professional.  One such mucus sufferer had cased me out during therapy in his classroom.  As I performed therapy with several children, he watched from across the room.  Occasionally, his little tongue would dart out to wipe his mucus river, but never truly staunching the flow.  After working with one child, I noticed he had moved closer.  I see you know where I am going with this.  I try to keep them in my peripheral vision, so that if they go in for a hug, I can turn them slightly, give them a hug, and wipe their nose simultaneously.  He had crept up on cat feet.  Before I knew it, he was lunging for my arms.  As he threw his little arms around me, I watched in fascinated horror (like a train wreck).  I was unable to look away.  In what felt like slow motion, he laid his cherubic face against my shoulder depositing a huge glob of mucus!  Inside I squealed, "Eeeeeeeeeew!  Get it offffff!"  Outside, I smiled, patted his back, and then wiped what was left on his nose.  With no tissues left for me, I continued teaching while I could have sworn the glob glowed with radioactive fervor.  After finishing therapy, I calmly walked to the door, grabbed a wet wipe, and erased the mound of mucus from my shoulder.  The little boy smiled and all was well.

Now let's look at Jesus.  He had all kinds of people pursuing Him.  He was a miracle worker!  Who wouldn't chase Him down if He were their only chance at being healed?  A lot of these people were rejected by society.  There were those with leprosy, issues of blood, paralysis, and sores.  The more society avoided the afflicted, the more Jesus showed mercy on them.  He even told His disciples to not hinder the little children from coming to Him.  Mucus mounds would have never phased Jesus.  What does this mean to you?  Jesus is not afraid to welcome us no matter what our state.  So many times we try to clean ourselves up and then come to Jesus.  He wants us just as we are.  He takes pleasure in your trusting Him enough to given Him your burdens and messes.  He doesn't reject you.  He simply hugs you, wipes you clean, and loves you!

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Another Year Older, Another Year Past

A Night to Shine