How Does Palm Sunday Relate To Us Today?

 

For teachers everywhere, this last week has been the moment we've been awaiting for the last couple of months- Spring Break!  With all the extras required to make digital learning possible, this year has been particularly trying.  This makes Spring Break that much sweeter.  Of course, I had a list a mile long of all the things that needed to be accomplished over the break.  I'm happy to say every single item was accomplished, and it brought me great satisfaction.  This Sunday, we celebrate Palm Sunday.  This is the moment that we remember when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey to celebrate Passover before His death a short time later.  The people of Jerusalem celebrated the realization of prophecies handed down for thousands of years that a "Messiah" (Savior) would finally appear riding a donkey that had never been ridden.  They threw down palm branches at the donkey's feet and shouted, "Hosanna!" Jesus then went to the Jewish temple and threw the money-changers out of the temple courtyards.  He said that the place that should be a house of prayer had become den of thieves.  God's house had become about marketing and profit, not Him.  This angered the Jewish leaders who saw nothing wrong with what they were doing.  All of this started the process of Jesus' walk to the cross.  How does this relate to us?  1) We need to be careful that we aren't so caught up in this world that we no longer recognize what is right versus what is wrong.  2) We also need to be careful to look for God's will versus our own agendas.  It's kind of like Spring Break.  I anticipated the moment of freedom when I could sleep in and finally have time to work on my to-do lists.  It was like those in Jerusalem crying out for freedom from captivity-looking for a Messiah.  However, when freedom actually came for me, I got so caught up in my lists and agendas that I lost focus of the purpose of Spring Break- to rest.  The overall purpose would achieve so much more than just a bunch of things checked off a list.  It would bring peace and recovery.  Those crying out for Hosanna had a list of what they thought a messiah should do.  Their lists were causing them to loose focus of the true meaning of God's Messiah- eternal freedom, not earthly freedom.  So on my last day of Spring Break, I lay down the list to take a day of rest and remember that I want God's overall will for my life- eternal freedom.

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?