What I Want My Daughters To Know


 This week, my twin daughters celebrated their eighteenth birthday.  This is an especially monumental time because they are not only another year older, but they are also officially adults.  It's really hard because I know that they are going their separate ways after this year.  One will go to college farther away while the other will go to college locally.  Either way, it will never be the same after this year.  Because this is such a special time for them, I wanted to first say how proud I am to be the mother of such exceptional girls.  They are the most caring, loving, and giving women.  I can't tell you how many times one of them has approached me asking if we can help out a friend or classmate in need.  A teacher told me once that if a student needs food, clothes, or anything, they know that they can go to my girls for help.  That makes my heart very happy as a parent.  My daughters have such talent that they freely use for God.  They give of their time, their energy, and even their own money to help others.  I am so thankful that God blessed me with such amazing daughters.  This is what I want to tell my daughters as they enter the next phase of their lives.

1)  People may say that you can do anything that you want to do.  That's not always true.  A tone-deaf singer may never win on American Idol, but that doesn't mean God doesn't have something amazing in store for them.  You may not always get what you want, but you will never know if you don't try.  

2) Just because you fail at something, doesn't mean it's the end.  Most people who are extremely talented started out failing at first.  Hard work and perseverance can accomplish more than just talent alone.  So the key is that if you really want to achieve something, you don't give up.  

3) Also, it's okay to move on when you realize that something isn't going to work out.  We can make our own plans, but ultimately, it's what God wants for our lives that matters most.  He knows the beginning and the end of our lives.  He knows what will bring heartache and what will bring joy.  When we trust Him, He promised to work all things out for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28 NIV).  

4) It's easier to trust God and let Him handle the sticky situations than to try and dig ourselves out of messes God never intended us to be in.  

5) No matter what you face, know that you are never alone.  God promised to never leave you or forsake you.  His love is unconditional, and He accepts you just as you are.  You never need to compromise yourself or your values just to be accepted by others because God has already accepted you.  

6) You are important to God.  You have value in His eyes and nothing will change that because He is not looking at what you do.  He is looking at who you are- His child.  

7) You are safe in His hands.  He protects His own, and you are His child.

8) You are loved by God and by your family.  No matter where you go in life or what you do, you will always be loved and welcomed home. 

I am so proud of you both and look forward to what God is going to do in your lives!

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?