As Time Passes By...

 


Have you noticed how things have changed over the years?  My youngest son mentioned he was asked at school to start thinking about future careers.  He told me, "I'm just a junior!  I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life!"  We brain-stormed jobs and thought about his interests.  We ruled out playing video games and living at home with us for his entire life.  Or should I say, I nixed that choice.  This got me thinking about jobs that no longer exist.  Remember the gas station attendant?  This was my brother's first job when he was a teenager.  You could get your gas, your windows cleaned, and your fluids topped off if you asked for it.  How about the grocery store food sacker?  There is one store locally that still offers this service, but unless you buy curbside, it is becoming a thing of the past.  These jobs turned my thoughts toward courtesy.  They represented serving others.  As our world gets so busy, it's easy to get focused on all that needs to be done.  We sometimes forget about the serving others aspect of life.  I remember growing up when my mom would make food baskets or simple desserts, and then we would take a Sunday afternoon and do "visitation."  This was not going to a funeral home when someone died.  It was honoring people while they were alive.  We would take our sweets and visit people in the church.  My parents would sit and talk with others in the church.  Life seemed much slower.  I know that wasn't the case.  My parents had very busy lives, but they took time to put others first.  How about you?  Do you make time to do something kind for someone else?  Do you make time in your busy schedule to serve?  If not, I challenge you to slow life down and show courtesy.  If we want to see change in our crazy world, then let's start with putting others ahead of ourselves.

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?