Sniffing Strawberry Shortcake's Hair

 While at a small group meeting for my church, we started reminiscing about a few things from our childhoods. You can learn a lot from some old toys. Here are a few things. 1. Cabbage Patch Kids- It was Christmas time, and all I had asked for was a toy that had caused quite a stir. My parents were financially struggling, so the $50-60 toy was the equivalent of a $200 to them. Unaware of the craziness about to ensue, my mother put a Cabbage Patch Kid on lay-away at Walmart. This is where you pay increments over time. When she made her final payment, riots were taking place across the nation due to shortages. As my mother walked out of the store, she was approached by a woman offering $200 for the toy. She declined. Even though my mother could have payed many bills with the money offered, my happiness on Christmas meant more to her. I learned the depths of my mother's love and treasure that toy. 2. Strawberry Shortcake dolls- as a young child, a special doll became quite popular. This special doll had hair with a fragrance that matched her name. While Strawberry Shortcake smelled like strawberries, others smelled like apple, lemon, and lime. I remember combing my doll"s hair as the scent of apple waifed to my nose. My daughter sometimes uses the ape-scented Suave shampoo. As I was braiding her hair, the apple smell to me back to a simpler time of childish happiness. I learned that emotions can be connected to scents, so the next time I'm stressed because an empty cracker box is sitting in my cabinet, a tea jug with 1 inch of tea is in the refrigerator, or a roll of toilet paper with one square wrapped around it sits on the empty holder, I can simply open the shampoo bottle and sniff- instant calmer. What lessons can you learn from your favorite toys? I challenge you to give it a go. You'll be surprised how easy it is to find something positive in the simplist of things.

Have a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Love? Loving When It's Hard.

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Ready to Die?