Advice to My Eighteen-year-old Self (Part 4)

 

While in Dallas over Christmas, my husband and I got to see an early release screening of the movie Jesus Revolution. Tonight, it was officially released in the movie theaters, so we had to go again. Once again, it was an amazing movie about a generation desperately seeking something real. During much of the movie, several young adults were trying to find love and acceptance. Eventually, they realized it was with God, even though God showed that love through flawed individuals. As I think back to my eighteen-year-old self, I remember being extremely self-conscious. In my head, I felt like I had nothing to offer, so why would anyone want to talk to me? I closed myself off and isolated. When I had that life-changing encounter with God I found my value wasn't in anything I could offer. When you think about it, what could I bring a God who has everything and made everything? But that is exactly what God wanted-me. My value is His love for me. I can't do anything to earn it. He simply loves me because I am His child. As I grew in confidence in who I am in Christ, I began to step out of the walls of isolation and let people see the goofy, dry-witted nerd that I am. So what would I tell my eighteen-year-old self? 4) My value is not in whether people will like me or accept me. My acceptance has already been given by Christ and that is enough. I will meet many people in my life, and some will like me. Some will not. If I devalue myself based on other's acceptance or lack thereof, I am devaluing God's creation. When we look at the intricacies of nature, the human body, even the cell, we know God created complex and beautiful things. He created you and me, why would I be any different than the other magnificent things He created. So, the real truth is, you are already accepted, valued, and matter to the Creator of the universe. He cares about you and that is something real you can hold to.
Have  a great week high-heeled warriors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: My Daughter's Latest EEG Six Years This Week After Brain Surgery

Another Year Older, Another Year Past

A Night to Shine